Gijs Spoor what is a social entrepreneur
Gijs Spoor is a Dutch social entrepreneur who has a unique story to share. As a child, he met his mentor an Indian organic farmer, who made a big impression on him. He decided that he would move to #india as an adult. After studying in the Netherlands, where he got his background in organic agriculture and Fairtrade he made his dream come true and moved to India. Gijs is an #ashoka Fellow and has started several social projects and companies to drive sustainability in production and trade in India.
In this Episode we talk about:
- What is a social entrepreneur
- Non Profit – For Profit
- The value of profit
- Gijs inspiration
- meeting his mentor
- Moving to India with 18
- Why living in India is like camping for a very long time
- The cultural shock finding the boundaries
- Living in Auroville
- Working all over India
- Cotton farming is a high-risk, low-profit business
- Dryland cotton farming
- Why the green revolution is an arms race between humans and nature
- The debt trap of Indian farmers
- Why more than 150000 farmers killed themselves
- Zero budget farming movement
- Minimum prices to cover the cost of production
- The „Fast #fashion“ disconnect
- Organic as a niche product
- The myths about organic cotton
- The problem of activist brands
- The extra cost for organic farmers
- Why brands should take the leadership
- The problem with the „Better Cotton Initiative“
- Understanding Fair Trade and Organic Cotton
- An incubator for Indian change makers
- CSR is becoming mandatory in India
- The Ashoka selection process for social entrepreneurs
- A community of practice
- The Atmavichara project
Show Notes, Links and Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Wherever you are, and however you listen to the Greenblut FM Podcast, thank you! Are you interested in hearing more from Gijs and Social Entrepreneurship? Let him know in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the sidebar of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Greenblut FM Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions just move over to the contact section and drop us a line or click on thew right sidebar.And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates
Many, many thanks to Gijs for joining us see you next show
If you like to get more fresh content directly to your inbox just subscribe to our Newsletter