For our second show, we speak to Katharine Hamnett.
Katharine started her career in 1969. But let’s jump back to 1984 where Katharine was part of the ‘Big Four’ fashion show in Tokyo.Together with Comme Des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto and Jean Paul Gaultier she was part of a showcase for what was then considered, as the best fashion designers in the world.
Katharine is a star maker, launching the careers of many world famous models, giving Claudia Schiffer, Kate Moss, Nadja Auermann and Milla Jovovich their first advertising jobs and Naomi Campbell her first catwalk show.She also gave the first break to some of the some of the world’s leading fashion photographers, Ellen Von Unwerth, Juergen Teller and Terry Richardson.
In 1989, just checking that her business was conforming to the Buddhist principle of Right Livelihood, Katharine Hamnett initiated research into the impact of the clothing and textile industry on the environment. To her shock and horror it revealed an untenable situation.
So. listen to our talk with the „Queen of Green“ Katherine Hamnett
In this Episode we talk about:
- The Key Factors that made her successful
- The Golden Age of Art Education in the UK
- Starting as a Freelancer
- How to get paid as a freelancer
- Katharine advice to young Fashion Designers
- Starting a brand with a baby
- Spotting and working with Emerging Artists and Talent without money
- Work with the Genius group Renzo Rosso and Adriano Goldsmith
- Inventing Stretch Denim and Stonewash
- Making Fashion History
- John Galliano and Martin Margiela
- Inventing the Slogan Shirt
- It’s not enough doing T-Shirts
- The roots of 68
- Moving into politics
- The making of the most famous Fashion Pictures
- Being rude to Margaret Thatcher
- Beyond living the fashion designers dream
- from Fashion Designer to activist
- Dogs in the office
- Getting the money with a TV Team
- Hunting for organic cotton
- Loosing Licensee contracts
- A Trip to Mali
- organic cotton vs. conventional cotton
- Getting involved in politics
- E campaigning
Show Notes Links, and Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Wherever you are, and however you listen to the Greenblut FM Podcast, thank you! Are you interested in hearing more from Katharine and Ethical Fashion? Let her know in the comment section below! If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the sidebar of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Greenblut FM Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions just move over to the contact section and drop us a line or click on thew right sidebar. And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates
Many, many thanks to Katharine for joining us see you at the next show